Retail bag sales are the major sales driver for the potato category; composing 78% of sales. Since the majority of the potato table is covered in bags, it makes sense that the package design accomplishes 3 critical factors:
- STOP – packaging should be visually exciting, enough so to stop shopper traffic past the table
- HOLD – packaging should be inspiring enough to hold their attention
- CLOSE – packaging should be able to close the sale; resulting in product in the basket, not left on the table
The potato category’s strongest dollar sales is in bagged product.
- While the 5 lb. segment is the largest the 8 lb. and 1-4 lb. segment are growing the quickest
- Consumers buy different bag sizes for different reasons so a proper assortment across bag sizes is necessary to optimize category sales
The potato category’s strongest volume sales is in bagged product.
- 10lb.and larger bags showed strong decline, while 8lb and 1-4lb packages experienced strong gains versus the prior year